As I type this, I too am wondering where were the Catholic voters because if a Catholic did support an abortion-supporting candidate over a pro-life one, he/she committed a mortal sin!! If you did such an action, repent and confess your sins. Mortal sins are serious! Read St. John Vianney's Catechism on Sin.
To me it doesn't seem that Americans voted for abortion and against morality. It just seems that other national issues took precedence, and they voted for those issues instead of for morality like all Catholics/Christians should have done.
Update: Pro-life politicians have lost control of both the House and the Senate in the United States.
As a citizen of Illinois, I am disappointed in the results. Governor Rod Blagojevich (D) was re-elected, and since there was no clearly pro-life politician running, that is not a big loss. Unfortunately, pro-abortion candidates kept offices like Secretary of State and Attorney General.
Here are some of the top Senate Races and the Results:
- Arizona: John Kyl (R) won re-election. He is pro-life.
- Maryland: Banjamin Cardin (D) won. He is pro-abortion.
- Michigan: Debbie Stabenow (D) was re-elected. She is pro-abortion.
- Minnesota: Amy Klobuchar (D) won. She is pro-abortion and pro-embryonic stem cell.
- Missouri: Claire McCaskill (D) narrowly won. She is pro-abortion and pro-embryonic stem cell.
- Montana: Jon Tester (D) very narrowly won. He is pro-abortion and I also know pro-embryonic stem cell.
- Ohio: Sherrod Brown (D) won. He is pro-abortion and pro-embryonic stem cell.
- Pennsylvania: Bob Casey (D) defeated the Catholic, pro-life Senator Rick Santorum. Casey is anti-abortion and anti-embryonic stem cell. He is pro-contraceptives, though.
- Tennessee: Bob Corker (R) won. He is pro-life.
- Virginia: Jim Webb (D) won. He is pro-abortion.
- South Dakota Abortion Ban: This was one of the more diappointing losses. It failed.
- California Parental Notification: It failed.
- Missouri funding embyronic stem cell (Amend. 2): It unfortunately extremely narrowly passed.
- Oregon Parental Notification: It failed.
- Update: Georgia approved Choose Life License Plates!
- Arizona: It became the first state to reject a ban on gay marriage.
- Colorado: It appears the ban on gay marriage succeeded and the proposal to give gay couples the same benefits as married couples failed (source).
- Idaho: The ban passed!
- Virginia: The ban passed!
- South Carolina: The ban passed!
- South Dakota: The ban passed!
- Tennessee: The ban passed!
- Wisconsin: The ban passed!