Today is the First Friday of August. Because today is the first Friday of the Month, it is time for First Friday Devotions. Remember that this month is also dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Beginning on December 27, 1673,
through 1675, Our Lord appeared to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque asking her
to receive Him in Holy Communion on the first Friday of every month and
to meditate on His passion from 11:00 PM to 12:00 midnight each
Thursday. He also revealed to her twelve promises for all who are
devoted to His Sacred Heart; he asked for a Feast of the Sacred Heart to
be instituted in the liturgical calendar of the Church. Our Lord
appeared to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque with twelve promises for those devoted to His Most Sacred Heart.
Promises for those devoted to the Sacred Heart:
1. "I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life."
2. "I will establish peace in their homes."
3. "I will comfort them in their afflictions."
4. "I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all in death."
5. "I will bestow a large blessing upon all their undertakings."
6. "Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy."
7. "Tepid souls shall grow fervent."
8. "Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection."
9. "I will bless every place where a picture of My Heart shall be set up and honored."
10. "I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts."
11. "Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out."
"I promise thee in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful
love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in
nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence; they shall not
die in My disgrace nor without receiving the Sacraments; My Divine heart
shall be their safe refuge in this last moment."
Prayer of Reparation:
O Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and
Holy Spirit, I adore thee profoundly. I offer thee the most precious
Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the
tabernacles of the world, in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges and
indifferences by which He is offended. By the infinite merits of the
Sacred Heart of Jesus, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg of thee
the conversion of poor sinners. Amen.
From the writings of St. Margaret Mary:
"On Friday during Holy Communion, He said these words to His unworthy
slave, if I mistake not: I promise you in the excessive mercy of my
Heart that its all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive
Holy Communion on nine first Fridays of consecutive months the grace of
final repentance; they will not die under my displeasure or without
receiving their sacraments, my divine Heart making itself their assured
refuge at the last moment."
With regard to this promise it may be remarked:
(1) that our Lord required Communion to be received on a particular day chosen by Him;
(2) that the nine Fridays must be consecutive;
(3) that they must be made in honor of His Sacred Heart, which means
that those who make the nine Fridays must practice the devotion and must
have a great love for our Lord;
(4) that our Lord does not say that those who make the nine Fridays will
be dispensed from any of their obligations or from exercising the
vigilance necessary to lead a good life and overcome temptation; rather
He implicitly promises abundant graces to those who make the nine
Fridays to help them to carry out these obligations and persevere to the
(5) that perseverance in receiving Holy Communion for nine consecutive
First Fridays helps the faithful to acquire the habit of frequent
Communion, which our Lord eagerly desires; and
(6) that the practice of the nine Fridays is very pleasing to our Lord
since He promises such great reward, and that all Catholics should
endeavor to make the nine Fridays.
Prayer Source: Enthronment of the Sacred Heart by Rev. Francis Larkin, SS.CC., St. Paul Editions, 1978
And for many other pious devotions to the Sacred Heart, read the section on the Sacred Heart in the Raccolta online.
Thursday, August 6, 2015
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links on this blog are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”