St. Louis IX - Virgin and Child Adored by Saint Louis, King of France
What is the Saint for the Year Devotion? Here is my post on this from years past to clarify the matter. This is from the person that draws all of the saints. I don't draw the saints. I will merely pass on your name or screenname to her so that she will draw a saint for you. Also, I will pass on the name of any of your family or friends that would like to participate. This isn't superstition. St. Faustina did the same thing!
Last year dozens of people received saints to be their special patron, and there were miraculous connections. It was truly amazing. We pray that this year the Holy Spirit will again work so that all participants receive a saint that they will be able to pray to for aid throughout the entire year:
Saint for the YearPlease pass this message on through your blogs and/or email distribution lists, letting all of the Catholic blogsphere have the chance to participate. I only ask that you give me your email address so that I may contact you when your saint is drawn. Usually within one to two days I can email you about your saint.
I want to tell you about the practice of picking a saint at random to be your “holy protector” for the year. Actually, the saint is the one who chooses us though. The tradition of letting a saint “pick you,” is not a new one. St. Faustina wrote about it in her diary, Divine Mercy in My Soul. The excerpt is below.
“There is a custom among us of drawing by lot, on New Year's Day, special Patrons for ourselves for the whole year. In the morning during meditation, there arose within me a secret desire that the Eucharistic Jesus be my special Patron for this year also, as in the past. But, hiding this desire from my Beloved, I spoke to Him about everything else but that. When we came to refectory for breakfast, we blessed ourselves and began drawing our patrons. When I approached the holy cards on which the names of the patrons were written, without hesitation I took one, but I didn't read the name immediately as I wanted to mortify myself for a few minutes. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my soul: ‘I am your patron. Read.’ I looked at once at the inscription and read, ‘Patron for the Year 1935 - the Most Blessed Eucharist.’ My heart leapt with joy, and I slipped quietly away from the sisters and went for a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament, where I poured out my heart. But Jesus sweetly admonished me that I should be at that moment together with the sisters. I went immediately in obedience to the rule.”Excerpt from Divine Mercy in My Soul, the Diary of St. Faustina"
I have a container full of names ... I will be glad to pick out the name for you and send you the name if you prefer. I am so excited by my saint(s) ... I already picked mine. Well, I should say that they picked me ... I have Saints Marcus and Marcellianus ... they are twin brothers who were sent to prison before their death. St. Sebastian visited them continually in prison and helped keep their faith alive. They are buried near St. Felix and are specifically honored in Spain.
OK now ... here are a couple of immediate ironies in regard to these saints ... I have a SPECIAL place in my heart for twins! As a child, I LOVED reading the story about St. Sebastian. I had a children's book of saints and I think I wore out the pages on St. Sebastian! Felix is my grandfather's name! Silvia, our exchange student, is from Spain! I am so excited to have these two saints to walk through 2006 with me! I'm looking forward as to where and how they will intercede for me.
So, please either make sure your email address is in your profile or please leave it below in the comment box when you ask to participate. If you wish to remain anonymous, please leave your initials instead of your name. And, if you would prefer to email me directly and not write your email address in the comment box, please send an email entitled "Saint for the Year 2010" to acatholiclife [at] gmail.com
So, comment below and pass this message on throughout the entire Catholic Blogsphere!
St. Louis IX - Death of Saint Louis 1270 by Gustave Dore
The results of all individuals who request saints will be displayed below. Only first names and/or initials will be used to identify individuals. An individuals results will also be emailed to them.
Update: January 3 - all received requests thus far have been processed. The results are below. Please feel free to contact me still as this devotion has not ended!
- BearPaw - St. Paul of the Cross, 04/28
- Angelica - St. John the Silent, 05/13
- Anna - St. Radegundes, 08/13
- Vince, - St. Rogatian, 05/24
- Auliya Marie - St. Elphege, 04/19
- John-Luc - St. Thomas More and St. Raymond of Penyafort
- Monique - The Sacred Heart
- Frances - St. John Baptist de la Salle
- Claudette - The Blessed Virgin Mary and her Miraculous Medal, 11/27
- Nicholas - St. Nicholas of Myra, 12/06
- Natile - St. Hospitius, 05/21
- Ida - St. Finnbar, 09/25
- Helen - St. Stephen, the First martyr
- Seminarian Edward - St. Hugh of Grenoble, 04/01
- Mark M - The Eighteen Holy Martyrs of Saragossa, 04/16
- Kim, - St. Simeon, Bishop, 02/18
- Gene, - St. Maximilian Mary Kolbe
- Erin, - St. John Bosco, 01/31
- Daniel, - St. John the Evangelist, 12/27
- Paul - St. Louis Mary de Montfort, 04/28
- Annemarie - St. Stephen, the First Martyr
- James - St. Raymond of Pennafort, -1/23
- LW - St. Fabien, 01/20
- Holly Hall - St. Anthony-Mary Claret, 10/23
- Nevaeh - St. Vitus
- Bryan D - St. Finan or Finian, 12/12
- ivarbjoe - St. Benedict
- Cassidy - St. Thomas More
- Marjorie H., - St. Isidore the Farmer, 05/15
- Mike H., - St. Louis Bertrand, 10/09
- Michael H., - St. Christina, 07/24
- Matthew H. - St. Servulus, 12/23
- Melissa H. - St. Agatha, 02/05
- Steve - St. Anacletus, 07/13
- Toni - St. Joseph Calasanz, 08/25
- Stephanie -- St. Peter and his Chair at Rome, 01/18
- Trissi - St. Peter Fourier, 12/09
- Ken - St. Epiphanius, 05/12
- John - St. Perpetuus, 04/08
- Dan - The Blessed Virgin Mary and her Miraculous Medal, 11/27
- Chris - St. Claude, Apollinaire, 01/08
- Rudy - St. Oswald, 02/28
- Julie H - St. Vincent, 01/22
- Cy - St. Raymond Nonnatus, 08/31
- Cy sister - St. Brendan, 05/16!
- Francis Carmelle - St. Pantaenus, 07/07
- Fran - The Holy Forty Martyrs of Sebaste, 03/10
- Ann - Bl. Maximin Giraud, 09/20!
- Christine - St. Eligius or Eloy, 12/01
- Jam - St. John, apostle and evangelist, 12/27
- DJ - St. Gerard, abbott, 10/03
- Wally - St. Martin de Porres, 11/03
- Yaya - St. Agnes, 01/21
- Jazmyn - St. Joseph
- Katelyn - St. John of Sahagun or of St.Fagondez
- Ursula - St. Osmund
- deProfunis - St. Lambert, 09/17
- Jarrett - St. Tarachus, feast day on 10/11
- Lucy - St. Benedict - Joseph Labre, 04/16
- Demetria - St. Jeanne - Antide Thouret, 05/23
- Jeannette - St. Michael the Archangel, 09/29
- Cesar - St. Martin de Tours, 11/11
- Brian T - St. Philogonius, 12/20
- Lara - St. Francis de Sales
- Meghan O. - St. John Chrysostom
- Hank - St. Margaret, queen of Scotland, 06/10
- Timber - St. John the Evangelist, 12/27
- Xman - The Immaculate Heart of Mary, 08/22
- Lightning and Family - St. Paul, 06/29
- Stace and family - St. Matthew, 09/21
- Mix - Bl. Maximin Giraud, 09/20
- Joy - St. Thomas Aquinas
- Pam - St. Catherine of Sweden, 03/22
- Hilda - St. Blandina, 06/02