Friday, February 24, 2006
Evening Prayer (Vespers)

Never lie down to sleep without first having examined your conscience on the way you have spent the day and without first turning your thoughts to God. Then offer and consecrate your whole person and that of every Christian, especially my wretched self, to God just as I do for you (St. Padre Pio: Letters II p 292).

Vespers is one of the two main times of prayer in the Christian life along with Lauds (Morning), and I have recently tried to find the best spiritual prayers to end my day with.

Currently, I begin evening prayer in praise to Our God for His many favors by praying the Litany of Praise or the Te Deum. I then make an examination of Conscience followed by an Act of Contrition. I typically end with a special prayer of thanksgiving unique to each day from a great prayer booklet of mine along with petitions for those in need. But, I wanted to know what are some of your favorite evening prayers.

How do you end your day in prayer? What can we learn from each other and add to our own daily prayers?

I also pray the Liturgy of the Hours in the morning (Lauds) and in the evening (Vespers).

Image Source: Saint Johns Cathedral in Valletta Malta

Evening Prayer:

My God, at the end of this day I thank you most heartily for all the graces I have received from you. I am sorry that I have not made a better use of them. I am sorry for all the sins I have committed against you. Forgive me, O my God, and graciously protect me this night. Blessed Virgin Mary, my dear heavenly mother, take me under your protection. St. Joseph, my dear guardian angel, and all you saints of God, pray for me. Sweet Jesus, have pity on all poor sinners, and save them from hell. Have mercy on the suffering souls in purgatory.

1 comments:

February 20, 2011 at 5:35 PM
jj said...

Please pray for me Joanna, Victor Konan & Honozon to urgently get usd5,500 for the bank fees, we needed a miracles or else we will be facing bankruptcy end of this week. Lord, have mercy on us. Thanks

Post a Comment

Unacceptable comments include but are not limited to:

1. Insulting me or another commentor
2. Denying the existence of God
3. Insulting, mocking, or blaspheming Our Lord, the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Saints, or any holy men and women of the Church of God.
4. Posting obscene or impure images or words on this blog
5. Advertising (email such comments to me directly)
6. Writing a comment about something completely unrelated to the post you are commenting on
7. Linking to a video, article, webpage, etc. that I deem anti-Catholic or inappropriate

Note: This policy is subject to change without notice.

Please consider donating via the sidebar's secure donation button, which will help keep "A Catholic Life" in operation.

Email Subscription

Enter email address:



Notice



Copyright © 2005 – 2014 A Catholic Life. All Rights Reserved. Hosting: Dream Host