It is vitally important to not only meditate on the Sacred Heart of Jesus during June, the Month of the Sacred Heart, but throughout the whole year.
When did devotion to the Sacred Heart begin?
Devotion to the Sacred Heart was approved for specified dioceses by Pope Clement XIII in 1765 and extended to the whole Church by Pope Pius IX in 1856. Pope Leo XIII dedicated the whole world to the Sacred Heart in 1899.
Feast of the Sacred Heart
See here for more information.
Documents on the Sacred Heart:
- Annum sacrum (1889) - Pope Leo XIII
- Caritate Christi Compulsi (On The Sacred Heart) - Pope Pius XI
- Miserentissimus Redemptor (On Reparation To The Sacred Heart) - Pope Pius XI
- Haurietis aquas - Pope Pius XII
- Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart
- First Friday Devotion
- Act of Reparation to the Sacred Heart (Indulgence)
- Enthronement of the Sacred Heart
Our Lord also made 12 promises to St. Margaret Mary for those that are devoted to His Sacred Heart.
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state in life.
- I will give peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- They shall find in My Heart an assured refuge during life and especially at the hour of death.
- I will pour abundant blessings on all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall speedily rise to great perfection.
- I will bless the homes in which the image of My Sacred Heart shall be exposed and honoured.
- I will give to priests the power to touch the most hardened hearts.
- Those who propagate this devotion shall have their name written in My Heart, and it shall never be effaced.
- The all-powerful love of My Heart will grant to all those who shall receive Communion on the First Friday of nine consecutive months the grace of final repentance; they shall not die under My displeasure, nor without receiving their Sacraments; My Heart shall be their assured refuge at the last hour.